Arts Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Thursday, October 05, 2006

This week's window - Peter Wileman



For me inspiration comes from confrontation with nature which demands a response; a sunset, a heavy shower, powdered snow, sunrise over a loch, any or all of these elements might dictate the form that the response will take. I contemplate the landscape with amazement as it changes hourly, yet remains fundamentally the same. This is a concept I love to explore in my paintings - a blazing sunset reflected in a calm sea carries the implication of impending darkness, while heavy clouds in an overcast sky might predict an imminent storm...

I have always been attracted to coasts and seascapes in general, as I love the sense of infinity and endless searching that they give me. The subject of my next work will usually come to me when I am out by the sea, feeling at one with nature and the elements, and at this time I know what direction the composition will take. Back in my studio the painting begins to take shape in reality, and I aim to recreate both what I have seen and my own emotional response to it. I prefer to paint using oil as I find that this is the medium most adaptable to changes of light and mood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home